Funded and managed by the United Nations Development Programme, Resident Coordinators lead UN country teams in more than 130 countries and advocate the interests and mandates of the UN drawing on the guidance and expertise of the entire UN family.
The UN Resident Coordinator system ensures that all the agencies in the country work together to provide development assistance with efficiency and effectiveness. The UN Resident Coordinator leads a unified, coherent response to national development priorities, which includes the coordination of operational development activities. The UN Resident Coordinator system also supports the Government in coordinating external assistance in support of national priorities and strategies. In order to achieve greater impact in reducing poverty and improving people`s lives, the UN Resident Coordinator draws on the expertise and comparative advantages of the various resident and non-resident UN Agencies.
Brian J. Williams
More about the Resident Coordinator
Prior to his assignment in Albania, Mr. Williams served as Chief of Financing for Peacebuilding with the UN Peacebuilding Support Office at the United Nations Secretariat in New York. Under his leadership, the Peacebuilding Fund has funded over $300 million to over 25 post-conflict countries, with a focus on those on the agenda of the UN Peacebuilding Commission
Prior to the work with the Peacebuilding Support Office, Mr. Williams focused on public health, in particular the global HIV crisis. From 2004 to 2008, he served as the UNAIDS Country Coordinator in Myanmar.
From 2001-2004, Mr. Williams worked at the UNAIDS Headquarters in Geneva in the country-support division.
Since 1990, Mr. Williams has been involved in humanitarian assistance, governance, rule of law and post-conflict recovery in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Cambodia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi and Rwanda.
Mr. Williams has served as consultant for a number of United Nations Agencies and development organizations including the United States Agency for International Development and CARE International.
Mr. Williams holds a Master’s degree in Public Affairs from the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University, and an undergraduate degree in engineering from Harvard University.
Mr. Williams is married and has two children.
- Conference “Achieving Sustainable Development Goals in Albania: The Contribution of SDG Indicators to Evidence-based Policy-making for Sustainable Housing and Urban Development at National and Local Levels”
- Speech by UN Resident Coordinator, Brian J. Williams on UN Day 29 October 2018
- Speech at Annual conference of the People’s Advocate Leave No One Behind 22 December 2017
- UNDAF Signing Remarks 24 October 2016
- Speech at the European Summer School 26 September 2016
- Speech at the Business and Anti- Corruption Practices Organized by the International Chamber of Commerce Tirana, 28 June 2016
- Spech at the Visual Arts Competition “Woman through art” Youth Center TIRANA 10 May 2016
- Annual Regional Conference of Women Parliamentarians from South East Europe April 27 2016
- Albania-60 years a UN member - Remarks of Brian Williams UN Resident Coordinator & UNDP Resident Representative 14 December 2015, Venue: Ministry of Foreign Affairs